Sunday, February 27, 2011

You Create It Into Beauty Once Again

The words of the reckless pierce like swords, but the tongue of the wise brings healing. (Proverbs 12:18)


How often do we speak before thinking of the consequences of our words? We’ve all had negative, offensive words spoken about us at some time that we’ve never forgotten. We may forgive, but it’s nearly impossible to forget. 


I've come to know just how true that is. From the time I started going to school, I had a hard time fitting in. I got picked on a lot because I was different than everyone else. Everyday I was tormented by my peers. They all picked on me, and took every insecurity that I had and tore it to pieces. I didn't talk to anyone in class, and I never participated in class. I lost myself in book after book. I became extremely withdrawn from everyone around me. That didn't stop them from picking on me. When I walked home from school, I'd get attacked because they were waiting for me. When I was younger, I switched schools a lot. There was a lot of crap going on in my family, so we were bounced from school to school. Even at schools that I was new to, I'd get picked on. No matter where I went, I could never fit in. I felt so alone growing up with the abuse at home, and the torment that I faced at school. It felt like I couldn't escape to a safe place.


I learned very quickly that the phrase "Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." was a lie. Words hurt. Personally, words hurt more than any physical abuse I could be put through. But, why do words hurt so much? They hurt because, when someone says something negative to you, it hits right at your insecurities, and it's like someone took an emotional knife and stabbed you. Words pierce our minds and hearts, they leave scars that take a long time to heal, even longer than physical scars. 


Words are filled with power. I don't believe that any of us are truly aware how much power are contained in words we say recklessly, off-handedly. But the truth is, the hurt is real, and the pain cuts deep when we are careless with our words. It seems that when we are hurt we reserve the right to take the gloves off and wound in return. But that's not what as Christians, God calls us to do. 


God calls us to be responsible with our words, and build the people around us up with our words, not tear them down. We are people created in the image of God. He took special care into making us the people we are today. We are made just the way he wants us to be. Something to keep in mind is this: Reckless words can tear the ones we love into pieces. Words that build up and are kind, gentle, patient, and loving create peace. Before you speak, think of the life you want to live. 


What kind of life do you want to live? Do you want to live a life of Peace, or Pieces?


There are days where I let my insecurities get the best of me, and I feel like I'm back in middle school. The days where anything and everything is getting me down. The days that all I hear is that I'm not worth anything, and that I'll never make something of my life. On those days, I just want to give into it all and break down. But then I remember, there's a God up there who loves me. And then I remember that HE thinks the world of me. On those days, when I'm sitting in my room fighting back tears, There's something that I try to remember. God made me in his image, and when people try and tear me down, I remember that I mean the world to Him, and to him I am beauty beyond compare. 


I find comfort in a saying that I read somewhere. I can't remember where I heard it, or who it is by...but it is something that has stuck with me ever since. It says "Man looks at our outward appearances, and judges us, seeking out our flaws. But God, God looks at our hearts and loves us despite our flaws." 


I hope you also find encouragement in those words. When the world seems to get you down, just remember this; God loves us. It's okay to feel hurt, but you should never forget to see your incredible value to God. He's there for us when we are hurting, and he will provide us with everything that we need, and he will carry us when we are hurting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment